Sunday, January 2, 2011

FB : highly addictive !!

FB....in case u are thinking what that means,then u r one of the few lucky mortals who have not been bitten by this bug...or it might be that u r simply ignorant...or u must have slept through few revolutions(mind u,not rotations !!). For them,FB is FACEBOOK - which i can safely say,is the greatest social networking website at present. ( does that ring a bell somewhere ?? if not,then u surely belong to that above-mentioned 3rd category)


Hmmm....social networking....what exactly does that mean...have u ever thought about it?? i havent...so i just Google it now,and check what Wiki (not Wikileaks !! damn,they are everywhere...) has to say about it,and this is what i found -

"A social network is a social structure made up of individuals (or organizations) called "nodes", which are tied (connected) by one or more specific types of interdependency, such as friendship, kinship, common interest, financial exchange, dislike, sexual relationships, or relationships of beliefs, knowledge or prestige."

          Phew...and i thought it was all about posting on wall,poking each other,commenting on pics,finding out who is ur best friend,who loves u the most,building farms...etc....etc...as a result i dont dare to check for the definition anymore.
For me,Orkut was the perfect thing. I had my friends there,was able to upload and view pics and chat with my frnds...what more did i need...or so i thought !! During my 4 yrs in clg,FB was not that popular...Orkut was on everybody's lips and fingertips.Then my stay in chennai for an year...heard abt it but didnt pay much attention to it...and then i came to Kolkata. I noticed that the absence of my frnds,those who had sworn their loyalty to Orkut.I checked with my buddies and they directed me to this phenomenon - Facebook...and i cant thank them enough for that.

        But lets say,the first impression is not always the best impression...the simple white and blue theme didnt impress me right away but then as they say - the proof of the pudding is in eating. And u guessed it right...I LOVED IT !!! I am yet to check out all the nook and corners of FB,but whatever i have seen till now is enough to keep me hooked. And as if eating the pudding was not enough,last day i saw the film,"THE SOCIAL NETWORK" -inspiring,humorous and REAL...hats off to u,Mr.Mark Zuckerberg.


Its popularity can be gauged from the fact that it was started in 2004 and by 2009 it had more than 500 million registered users across the globe....beat that !!!
So when i sit back now and look at my "Wall" on that blue and white background,i cant help but admire the inspiration...the hard work...and the brain behind this whole concept. For once,necessity was not the mother of this invention...rather,it was a young Father !! ;-D

No comments:

Post a Comment